May 24, 2017 – Hope you are ready for the long Memorial Day weekend coming up! Santa Monica Seafood has you covered on your surf (obviously) and your turf with our new line of Cape Grim beef products. Check in with your sales rep today to see how this high-quality meat can help your menu. Don’t forget that we will be closed on Monday, May 29th in observance of Memorial Day.
Here is what else you need to know:
- Limited but consistent catches on California Troll King Salmon are a pleasant surprise for this week. Check with your rep on pricing and availability but this is a great option if want something truly special for your clientele.
- We’ve got some beautiful new California Halibut available that is a nice addition to any local offerings.
- Copper River opened slowly but is now exceeding expectations as we’re seeing decent catches on Kings and Sockeyes are at close to “normal” levels. We are also getting Troll King Salmon out of Washington, Vancouver and Alaska. Taken together with the California King Salmon, maybe it’s time to get a little wild with the salmon on your menu!
- Sablefish catches in Oregon have been just as sluggish as the California fish. We will be refreshing product for the weekend to make sure we can cover every order.
- We will not have any fresh cooked Dungeness Crabs for this weekend. We do have plenty of high quality frozen alternatives available.
- Ling Cod is very limited but Alaskan and Icelandic Cod will both be readily available.
- Texas Redfish are a great regional offering that can fill in admirably for more expensive and harder to source snappers from the Gulf of Mexico.
SOUTH PACIFIC/CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA/ASIA
- Opah and Wahoo (Ono) are very limited from all areas for this week. These (as well as Escolar) are considered bycatches for Albacore and Tuna at this time of year and we just aren’t seeing a lot of product being offered.
- Barramundi offers a steady alternative for Bass and other white-fleshed fish and can be used in almost any application on your menu.
- Grassy Bar oysters are expected in for this weekend! We are going to get a small shipment that should be here for Friday’s deliveries. Call your rep to check on availability – we will have a full complement of West Coast oysters if you are looking for something new and different.
Sign up for our Foodservice Newsletter to receive the latest
market report, specials, contests and more!